Notes of Transition Chester Monthly Meeting
Tuesday 5th September 2017 at the Old Custom House
3 attending: Arnold Wilkes, Terry Walsh and Graham Booth.
Apologies: Peter Bulmer, Peter Benson, Stephen Savory and Steve Hughes
1 – UPDATES
Item Action
CCEL – no further news this month. August was another good month for sunshine in Chester with generation better than predicted on Northgate Arena
Fruit bushes in Alexandra Park – no further action. Fruit bushes to remain.
Supertrees – no decision made about funding for this project as not enough members present.
Anti-Fracking. No news on the Dutton’s Lane, Upton well site.
In July 2017, Igas applied for planning permission for a flow test on a previously drilled well at Portside, Ellesmere Port. This well is already controversial as it was drilled into the shale beds when the original planning application only allowed for drilling into the much shallower coal seams to release coal bed methane, thus contravening the original application The new application mentions using acid to release the gas from the shale which sounds incredulous as the well passes through an important aquifer that is a huge potential source of potable water. Individuals can object to the application ref.17/03213/MIN online, by email or by post. To object online go to https://pa.cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk/online-applications and use the ref. code 17/03213/MIN in the search box. To object by email use the address planning@cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk. To object by post, include the ref code 17/03213/MIN and your name and address and send to Planning applications dept., Cheshire West and Chester Council, HQ Building, Chester, CH1 2NP.
To find out how and what to object to go to www.frackfreedee.co.uk or for a guide go to http://www.frackfreedee.co.uk/objection-guidance-on-igas-portside-north-ellesmere-port-planning-apllication/
The deadline for objections is the 21st September.
2 – DATES FOR TALKS AT MONTHLY MEETINGS
The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 3rd October. Margaret Warren, who is the Project Co-ordinator for Cheshire Waste Volunteers, will be telling us about the work of her organisation and exploring if there are opportunities for working together with Transition on projects in Chester.

The November 7th meeting will host Chris Dale, who is the chairman of TravelWatch North West who will talk on public transport with the focus on public transport issues in and around Chester.

There will be plenty of time for questions and discussion at both meetings.

Both meetings will start at 7.30 pm at the Unity Centre, 17 Cuppin Street, CH1 2BN. (www.theunitycentre.org). The Unity Centre was chosen as the venue after ringing round 5 other venues for availability and cost. A criteria for the venue was that it could seat up to 30 and only the Unity and Wesley Centres were available. The Unity Centre was slightly cheaper

A newsletter will be sent out on the mailing list shortly advertising the talks and other events in September and October.

3 – FORTHCOMING EVENTS
The following events may be of interest to members:

1) The annual West Kirby Earth Fest takes place on Friday 8th and Saturday 9th of September. Details on their website www.
2) Simon Brown’s Superhome is open to the public on the 8, 9 & 10th September. You can book a viewing at www.superhomes.org.uk/153
3) The annual Upton Family Fun Day takes place on Saturday 16 September 12.00 -16.00 at the Pavilion, Weal Stone Lane. Frack Free Upton have a stall
4) Volunteering event at Countess Country Park “Green Friday” on 22nd September from 10am – 2pm
5) Chester Cathedral’s series of public engagement workshops continues with a workshop on Sunday 24th September from 18.30 – 20.00 entitled climate Change – Chester’s Response. CCEL have been invited as a contributor.
6) The next meeting of the Sustainability Forum takes place on the 28th September.
7) Charity Walk organised by Chester Business Club on the 1st October starting at 11pm at Chester Race Course. You can raise money for Chester Community Energy by registering for the 6 mile walk at www.chesterbusinessclub.co.uk/events
8) The Solar & Storage Live exhibition takes place at the NEC in Birmingham on the 3, 4 & 5th October.
9) Volunteering day for Sustrans at the Lime Fields (behind Live Scene, Newton) from 11am – 1pm on the 7th October.
10) Walk for Wards fund raising event for the Countess hospital 10am start 8th October Countess Country Park. More info at www.walkforwards.co.uk/where.php
11) Transition Liverpool are holding their annual Symposium on the 14th October at the QMH in Liverpool

4 – TRAVEL EXPENSES
It was agreed by the three members present that anyone attending an event on behalf of Transition Chester would be able to claim travel expenses as long as the event had been sanctioned at a meeting and a report was provided of the event.
5 – WHAT NEXT FOR TRANSITION?
The consensus of those present was that whilst numbers at meetings remained low it is not practical to initiate new projects. The website and Facebook are not attracting many hits and they need to be used more effectively. For the next two meetings we will advertise as widely as possible to get 20 plus people to the talks
Graham to bring website up to date and Joseph to use Facebook to advertise forthcoming events.

NEXT MEETING – TUESDAY 3rd October 2017
The next meeting will be held at the Unity Centre, Cuppin Street, CH1 2BN at 7.30 pm
Graham Booth
7th September 2017

Notes of Transition Chester Monthly Meeting
Tuesday 1st August 2017 at the Old Custom House
8 attending: Arnold Wilkes, Terry Walsh, Mark Rideal, Stephen Savory, Joseph Dawson, Nick Drew, Steve Hughes and Graham Booth.
1 – UPDATES
Item Action
CCEL
Stephen gave a brief summary of projects under consideration for this year.
• An LED replacement scheme in Chester
• Seed funding for the Live building in Newton
• Solar pv on Neston Recreational Centre
• Purchasing a completed hydro scheme in Cheshire
There was also a discussion on the potential of the Dee Weir in Chester for a hydro scheme. There is a group of enthusiasts re-evaluating the site for a hydroelectric scheme and CCEL is included in the group. There was a recent organised visit to look inside the hydro power building that was last used to pump water from the Dee. A new hydro scheme is not financially viable because of the high installation costs, variable and limited power generation and no government subsidy. It has a lot of potential as a heritage, educational and tourist asset for Chester and could be linked to the project to open up Chester castle as a tourist attraction. Substantial grant funding is required if the project is to become a reality.

Fruit bushes in Hoole

Graham reported that Fran, who was involved in the original planting, does not want the blackcurrant bushes removed.
Arnold reported that he had no more information on the weed killer treatment. Chester Urban Wildlife Group is willing to attend a meeting to give more information. A decision will be made later in the year by a member vote.

Supertrees

Steve Hughes attended the meeting and provided an update on his supertree project. He completed his fund raising super feat (no pun intended) of running 7 marathons in 7 days in 7 countries starting on the 7th day of the 7th month. (Congratulations to Steve on this incredible achievement). Fundraising for the project is going well although more funding is needed to fully finance the project. The aim of the project is to create interest in a distinctive feature and initiate a conversation of how Chester can improve its commitment to environmental issues, including adding biodiversity and improving city landscapes. Steve is keen to add LED lighting to the “trees”, powered by solar panels mounted on the structures. His estimate for the solar panel and lighting is between £500 and £1000.

If you would like to support this imaginative and inspiring project you can do so by donating to the project at the “justgiving” website at
https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/allthesevens and you can contact Steve on stevehughe10@msn.com.
2 – WEBSITE
The website is working and is being brought up to date

3 – CHESTER SUSTAINABILITY FORUM
A “sustainability forum” of environmental and associated groups has been set up by agreement between Chris Matheson MP and Colin Watson of the Green Party. The forum will meet 5 times a year and will be attended by Chris and the CWAC cabinet member for the environment, giving local groups direct access to our MP and a senior CWAC councillor. Each meeting will have a theme. The next meeting is on Thursday 28th September and the topic is air quality.

Concerns were raised by Terry that the forum may be just another “talking shop” from which the public is excluded.

At the first forum meeting, Chris Matheson said the aims of the forum are to achieve positive change for the environment of Chester and the performance of the forum will be monitored on that basis. Graham to feedback to the forum concerns about not involving and/or not informing the interested public of the work and decisions of the forum. The topics and decisions of the forum to be reported back at Transition meetings.

4 – OFFERS OF TALKS AT MEETINGS
Cheshire Waste Reduction Volunteers (CWRV)
Margaret Warren, the coordinator for CWRV in West Cheshire, would like to give a talk about the work of CWRV with the aim of forming collaborative projects in Chester.

TravelWatch North West
Chris Dale, who is the chairman of TravelWatch NW, an organisation that represents public transport users, has been asked if he is available to give a talk on public transport issues in Chester at a monthly meeting. He has agreed in principle, subject to agreeing a date.

There was general agreement to invite both speakers to give talks in the autumn.

The venue for meetings with a speaker was discussed. It was generally agreed that the venue should be in a private room with easy access and facilities for drinks etc. A list of potential venues was drawn up for Graham to obtain availability and price. The suggested venues are:

St Columbus Church Upton, Quaker Meeting House Frodsham Street, Wesley Centre St John Street, Unity Centre Cuppin Street, New Scene Newton, University Parkgate Road.

Graham to agree a date for Margaret to attend a monthly meeting.

Graham to agree a date for Chris to attend a monthly meeting.

Graham to send an autumn newsletter to the members of the talks plus the events in West Kirby and Liverpool.
Graham to find out possible dates and prices of the venues

5 – INVITATION TO PARTICIPATE IN A CLIMATE CHANGE WORKSHOP
We have been invited to participate in a workshop at Chester Cathedral on Sunday 24 September at 6.30 pm. The title of the workshop is “Climate Change – challenges & opportunities, a Chester response”.

There was general agreement to participate in the workshop. Graham to find out the role of Transition in the workshop.

6 – AOB
Nick informed the meeting of two Transition events coming up in the Mersyside area.

Transition Town West Kirby is holding its annual Earthfest event on Friday 8 September and Saturday 9 September at the St. Bridget’s Church Centre and field, West Kirby.

Transition Liverpool is holding its annual Liverpool Symposium on the 14 October.

Both these events are posted on the Transition Website home page.

Nick has helped to organise Transition North West regional networking meetings, the last one being held last May in Lancaster. The all-day meeting was successful and Nick would like more groups to join in. A Facebook page has been set up for Transition North West. Chester was not represented at the meeting.

Previously in October 2016, Peter Benson attended a Merseyside/Cheshire regional meeting in Liverpool. Nick is encouraging us to send representatives to these regional meetings in the future. Details to follow.

Graham to post these events on the TC website.

Future regional meetings to be discussed at meetings with a view to sending a representative.
Agreement at a future meeting to pay travel expenses to a TC member attending meetings.

NEXT MEETING – TUESDAY 5th September 2017
The next meeting will be held at the Old Custom House, Watergate Street, CH1 2LB at 7.30 pm
Graham Booth
4 August 2017

Notes of Transition Chester Monthly Meeting
Tuesday 4th July 2017 at the Old Custom House
6 attending: Arnold Wilkes, Terry Walsh, Stephen Savory, Joseph Dawson, Shelley Booth and Graham Booth.
1 – UPDATES
Item Action
CCEL
Stephen gave a brief update on the Northgate project. Outstanding items are all being dealt with. The panels are performing as predicted. The directors are considering several other potential projects. There is a general meeting of CCEL on 12 July at the QMH where members will be updated on all projects under consideration.
Stephen also reported that he had attended the Community Energy England’s conference in Manchester and would put his notes about the conference on the CCEL website.
2 – WEBSITE
Graham reported that there has been no change in the Transition website and it had not been updated for a couple of months. Joseph had brought his computer and had a look at the admin area of the website, showing Graham how the pages could be taken back and restored to a previous date.
Graham to update the website

3 – PROPOSED CHANGE FROM SOFT FRUIT TO WILD FLOWERS IN ALEXANDRA PARK
Arnold is proposing that the fruit bushes planted in Alexandra Park, Hoole, which were planted approx. 8 – 10 years ago under an Incredible Edible initiative, are removed and replaced by wild flowers. In his opinion the bushes have not and will not thrive because of the presence of mature trees which are taking most of the ground water. His proposal is to have a wild flower garden to encourage more bees into the park, in line with campaigns being run by FOE and Chester Zoo.
Taking advice from Chester Urban Wildlife Group he told the meeting that the ground would have to be pre-treated with a weed-killer before the wild flower seeds could be sown.
It was decided that a decision could wait until later in the year. In the meantime, Arnold to find out more about the weed-killer treatment and other members to find out the views of the people involved in the original planting scheme. Arnold to find out more info about the pre-treatment of the soil with a weed-killer.
4 – WORKING WITH KEEP BRITAIN TIDY IN CHESTER
Transition have had an enquiry from Margaret Warren through the office of Chester Voluntary Action. Margaret is the project coordinator of Cheshire Waste Reduction Volunteers operating under the banner of Keep Britain Tidy. She would like to explore possible partnering of projects in Chester.
Terry informed the meeting that litter picking services in Chester, including the care of Grosvenor Park have been savagely cut back. Graham to arrange a meeting with Margaret Warren to explore ways of collaborative working in Chester.

5 – AOB
The new Chester Sustainability Forum set up by Colin Watson and Chris Matheson MP was briefly discussed. Stephen will be representing CCEL and Graham representing Transition. It will be an opportunity to bring environmental/sustainability issues to a forum attended by decision makers at Westminster and County level. The new bus routing arrangements were briefly discussed.

NEXT MEETING – TUESDAY 1st August 2017
The next meeting will be held at the Old Custom House, Watergate Street, CH1 2LB at 7.30 pm
Graham Booth
10 July 2017

Notes of Transition Chester Monthly Meeting

Tuesday 6th June 2017 at the Old Custom House

5 attending: Arnold Wilkes, Peter Benson, Stephen Savory, Shelley Booth and Graham Booth.

1 UPDATES     

Item Action
CCEL

Northgate Solar Project

The panels are generating according to predictions so far. Stephen has submitted meter readings up to March 2017 but no FIT payments have been received from Scottish Power. Jen is in the process of registering the lease with the land registry.

Neston Recreation Centre

CCEL are in talks with CWAC about installing solar panels on the roof of Neston RC. The project would be similar to Northgate and ideally take place during August and September 2017 when building extension work is taking place. Dave Houston has provided an estimate for the installation and Graham is going to revise the financial projection for the project ready for the next CCEL director’s meeting on the 27th June. Peter Bulmer is arranging a meeting with the involved parties next week to progress the project.

Two other schemes are under consideration. A revenue scheme to replace fluorescent tube lighting with LED’s in Chester centre and a community benefit scheme to provide seed funding for an energy assessment and recommendations for the Live Scene building in Newton.

CEILIDH

General consensus that the Ceilidh held on the 13 May was well organised and enjoyed by 80 people. It was a financial success, adding over £400 to the Transition account. An exact figure will be provided by Arnold at the next meeting. The downside was that little interest was shown for supporting Transition. (Thanks to all who worked so effectively to make the event a success)

 

Stephen to sort out FIT payments with Richard Pearce/Scottish Power.

Graham working on financial projection.

Peter Bulmer arranging a meeting of project stakeholders.

Stephen to contact key people working on these projects to establish current status.

Arnold to report on profit made at next meeting.

                       

2 WEBSITE

Graham reported that the website had not been updated for a couple of months. The home page in the admin area of the website had lost all content. Webmedia said that there was nothing wrong with the website. Peter Benson is now looking to resolve the problem.

Peter Benson to look at website

 

   3 CHARITY WALK

We have been advised by CVA of a charity walk organised by Chester Business Club on the 1st October to raise funds. Transition does not fit the criteria of “being charitable, not necessarily a registered charity” but CCEL does. Anyone interested in doing the 6 mile walk from the racecourse, via Duke’s Drive, Eccleston, and the Meadows could fund raise for CCEL.  

 

   4 WHAT NEXT FOR TRANSITION

There was a general discussion about the way forward for the group. The discussion focused on networking with other groups like FOE, Green Party, CCC etc. It was suggested that we could combine to show films.

Stephen reported on the first meeting of an Environmental Forum set up by the Green Party and Chris Matheson. Transition and CCEL would be eligible to attend. Chris suggested that agreeing the scope for the group should be delayed until after the general election. The forum was thought to be a good opportunity for networking with like minded groups.

 

NEXT MEETING – TUESDAY 4th July 2017

The next meeting will be held at the Old Custom House, Watergate Street, CH1 2LB at 7.30 pm

Graham Booth

11 June 2017

Notes of Transition Chester Monthly Meeting

Tuesday 4th April 2017 at the Old Custom House

9 attending: Steve Hughes, Peter Bulmer, Arnold Wilkes, Peter Benson, Nigel, Diana Wilderspin Jones, Shelley Booth, Graham Booth and Stephen Savory.

1 CEILIDH PLANNING       

Item Action
Attendees talked through the various elements of the event.

The event is to be held at the All Saints Church, 2 Vicarage Road, Hoole, CH2 3HZ. on Saturday, 13th May. The main hall (with Dove room), Eagle room and kitchen have been booked from 17.00 hrs to 23.30 hrs at a cost of £195. The deposit has been paid. The balance is required three weeks before the event. The ceilidh will be from 19.30 – 11.30

Meeting agreed the main hall will be only used for dancing and the band. The Dove room will be used for information stalls and the raffles. The Eagle room will be set up with tables and chairs for eating and time out from the dancing. The kitchen will serve prepared food into the Eagle room and drinks into the main hall.

The ceilidh will have a live band – The Time Bandits – and a caller. They have both been booked.

The Fair Trade Steering Group (FTSG) will organise a raffle and provide a prize of Fair Trade food.

The Coop will provide a prize for the raffle of food/drink to the value of £25. They are unable to provide wine on a supply & return arrangement

Diana will prepare the hot food prior to the event. It will be an organic, vegetarian chilli served with bread during the interval. There is sufficient crockery and cutlery for 125 servings.

Peter Benson to be responsible for ordering of drinks for the bar and to run the bar on the night with help from others. Spitting Feathers has confirmed that “bright” beer can be supplied on Saturday morning and the hall manager confirmed that the barrels can be set up in the kitchen at any time during Saturday. In addition to beer supplied by Spitting Feathers, wine, J2O’s and soft drinks will be required. There are sufficient glasses at the hall and beer glasses can be provided by Spitting Feathers.

Peter also agreed to obtain the event licence from CWAC.

125 tickets have been printed and 100 given to members to sell. The response from the mail shot to members was poor, only one response. It was agreed to put the details of the event onto the Facebook page. Tickets can now be sold to “all comers” as members have had the opportunity to have first take-up. It was agreed to have someone at the door to take tickets and sell tickets to people who turned up on the night.

Stephen agreed to produce a poster and a flyer for the event.

The roll a pound coin game to win a bottle of whisky was briefly discussed. This would take place in the hall during the interval but as yet no one has volunteered to run it.

Peter Bulmer will act as MC for the night.

The next planning meeting will be the monthly TC meeting on the 2nd May at the Old Custom House.

 

 

                       

2 SUPERTREE CHESTER

Peter Bulmer invited Steve Hughes to tell the meeting about his project to bring “supertrees” to Chester. Steve explained:

His inspiration for the project came from the metal structures used in the Gardens by the Bay in Singapore which have been dubbed supertrees. The aim of the project would be to raise awareness and initiate a conversation of how the city of Chester can improve its commitment to environmental issues, including biodiversity and improving city landscapes. It would be a community based project, funded by Steve himself, local businesses and community groups.

The metal structures provide visual impact and act as support for a variety of climbing plants. The cost estimate for the purchase of 3 supertrees, 3 – 5m in height, is around £7,000. Steve has run many marathons and to raise funds for the scheme is going to run 7 marathons in 7 days in 7 countries starting on the 7th of July this year. The company he works for has indicated that they will match fund the money he can raise.

Steve has already attracted interested parties to the project including CWAC, Chester Zoo, Mersey Forest and community groups in and around Chester. He has been in promising talks with others to site his project within the large roundabout near the new bus station at Gorse Stacks. This site is in need of regeneration and it would be timely to introduce the supertrees into an updated landscaping scheme for the site.

Several suggestions were made to add interest to the concept, including lighting the trees with solar lights and/or generating power from static bikes. The meeting was very supportive of the project and wholeheartedly endorsed it. Steve asked what support Transition Chester could provide. Financially this would be fairly nominal although it would be up to members at another meeting to decide on the extent of support from funds and any other support to help the project succeed. Transition can spread the word by informing members of the project by mail shot, place a blog on the website and post on Facebook. Members can also provide sponsorship on an individual basis when Steve runs the marathons.

Steve was thanked for his talk and we wish him well on his mission to bring this innovative environmental project into the city.

 

   3 COUNCIL ENERGY COMPANY

Transition member Sagnik Murthy had emailed a press report of Wirral Council voting to become an energy company that could sell energy to residents at a discounted price and asked if CWAC were doing the same. Peter Bulmer reported that they were investigating the possibility.  

 

 

4 TRANSITION REPAIR CAFE

Shelley investigated the possibility of having a repair café in Chester in co-operation with a new charity that has just converted premises in Saltney into a workshop and café for the use of the community. Woodwork for Wellness, which is the brain child of Graham Hutchinson, formally of Chester Men in Sheds, serves individuals and groups by providing the opportunity to make and create in wood within a supportive community setting. However, Graham H did not think that a repair café scheme could be easily integrated now that all the work for his project had been completed.

 

5 UPDATES

Chester Community Energy

Stephen reported that the lease has now been signed and had been sent to CWAC for signing. Scottish Power has confirmed that the application to register the project has been approved and the pre-registered FIT rates have been secured. The financial model for the scheme is therefore secured which means members will receive interest in line with the share offer document.

NEXT MEETING – TUESDAY 2nd May 2017

The next meeting will be held at the Old Custom House, Watergate Street, CH1 2LB at 7.30 pm

Graham Booth

8 April 2017

 

Minutes of Transition Chester AGM 2017

Tuesday 7th March 2017 at the Old Custom House

1 CEILIDH PLANNED FOR SPRING 2017        

Item Action
Graham brought the tickets for the ceilidh which he had professionally printed. The distribution of tickets was agreed as follows.

Active members can have an allocation of tickets to sell and if they wish to do so should contact Graham. At the moment Peter Bulmer has 10, Stephen has 10, Graham has 20. A mailshot will be sent out to the members list to give them the first opportunity to buy tickets. After that tickets will be made available to the CCC, FOE etc. and then the wider public.

A decision was made to hire an additional room (Eagle room) at the All Saints venue. This will cost an additional £75 and will provide enough space so that setting up the event can be done before hand with no moving furniture during the evening.

It was decided that the main hall will be used exclusively for dancing and the band.

The small room off the main hall (Dove room) will be used for setting up stalls including the raffles.

The kitchen will be used to sell beer from the hatch into the main hall. Food will be sold from the hatch into the Eagle room.

The Eagle room will be set up with tables for eating and taking time out from the dancing.

The additional room gives the potential to sell more tickets.

It was decided that Spitting Feathers brewery would provide the beer – 2 firkins of Thirst Quencher plus another firkin (27 gallons in total – cost £265)

Two suggestions were made to resolve the problem of the beer being in the kitchen when the AA was having their meeting on Friday from 19.00 to 21.30.

Deliver the beer after 21.30 on the Friday night or on Saturday morning if the beer would be clear enough to drink.

It was proposed that tinned lagers and ciders, wine, soft drinks and J2O’s were purchased from Costco or similar. As Peter Benson has volunteered to run the bar it was agreed to consult Peter on what quantities of drinks he required.

The licence for the event will have to be obtained from the council.

Peter Bulmer volunteered to be MC for the night.

Graham to send out mailshot

 

 

 

 

Graham to check with Christina (Centre manager) that this arrangement is OK and that there are sufficient wine glasses, drinks glasses, plates, dishes, cutlery etc. for 120 people

(this has been given the OK by Christina)

Graham to check with Christina and Diana if it’s possible to allow 125 in and provide the hot food. (Christina and Diana have confirmed that 125 is OK)

Graham to check with SF and Christina that deliveries can be made.

(This has been OK’d by SF and Christina. SF can provide a “bright beer” that doesn’t require settling time and can be delivered on Saturday.)

No one responsible for this yet

                       

2 AGM – MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING

The minutes of the last meeting were agreed as an accurate record of the meeting

 

 

3 REPORT OF THE CO-ORDINATOR

The report is attached and will be posted on the Transition website.

 

4 REPORT OF THE ACCOUNTS

Coop saving account                 £1080.75

Coop current account                £  382.31

Suma account                          £  201.87

Total    £1664.93

 

5 ELECTION OF OFFICERS

Co-ordinator – as there were no other nominations Graham agreed to continue as coordinator for another year. He informed the meeting that it would be his last year as coordinator.

Secretary – as there were no nominations for secretary and the position was vacant Graham agreed to carry out the duties of the secretary.

Treasurer – Arnold had told Graham he was prepared to continue as treasurer.

 

 

6 PROPOSED RESOLUTIONS

There were on resolutions by members  

 

7 OTHER BUSINESS

After a brief discussion about sending an email about the ceilidh to CCEL members it was agreed that it was appropriate if CCEL had a stall at the ceilidh.

NEXT MEETING – TUESDAY 4th APRIL 2017

The next meeting is to be held at the Old Custom House, Watergate Street, CH1 2LB at 7.30 pm

Graham Booth

8 March 2017

Notes of Transition Chester Monthly Meeting

Tuesday 7th February 2017 at the Old Custom House

9 attending:  Ruth Davidson (Fair Trade), Rachel Cross (Fair Trade), Justine (Coop), John Tacon, Peter Bulmer, Arnold Wilkes, Stephen Savory, Shelley Booth and Graham Booth

Apologies from Julie, Nik, Joseph and Colin Watson

1 CEILIDH PLANNING       

Item Action
There was a brief review of the event for the benefit of Ruth, Rachel and Justine.

The event is to be held at the All Saints Church, 2 Vicarage Road, Hoole, CH2 3HZ. The hall and kitchen have been booked from 17.00 hrs to 23.30 hrs at a cost of £125. The deposit has been paid.The ceilidh will be from 19.30 – 11.30

The ceilidh will have a live band – The Time Bandits. They are giving their services FOC. Jamie from the band will employ a “caller” who will be paid  £85 for the night. The band will be supplied with free beer and food.

The Fair Trade Steering Group (FTSG) will organise a raffle and provide a prize of Fair Trade food.

The Coop will provide a prize for the raffle of food/drink to the value of £25. They are unable to provide wine on a supply & return arrangement

Arnold said he would ask Suma if they would provide a prize to the value of £40.

The question of recording attendees names and contact details was briefly discussed. The idea of doing this with a raffle ticket was dismissed.

Peter proposed to have pop up banners at the entrance and a table with information about Transition & Fair Trade.

The question of where and when the bar should be set up was discussed. As nobody present knew the exact layout of the smaller rooms it was decided that Graham, Shelley and Arnold would visit the church

In the past, beer has been supplied by the Spitting Feathers Brewery. Setting up the barrels in advance to allow the sediment to settle was discussed. A decision on this to be made after the visit to the church.

Wine glasses are available at the venue. Peter informed the meeting that beer glasses can be borrowed from Sainsbury FOC.

Graham will be responsible for the tickets. They will be A7 with information about Transition on the back.

Still waiting for confirmation from the Chester Irish Dancing Club for a display of dancing from the children. No hard shoes are allowed.

The next planning meeting will be the monthly TC meeting on the 7th March at the Old Custom House.

 

 

Diana to laisse with Christina Beveridge on matters concerning the venue. Check if the hall and kitchen are sufficient for our needs.

Peter Bulmer will liaise with Jamie from the band.

Ruth and Rachel

Peter Bulmer will liaise with the FTSG.

Suma

Graham, Shelley & Arnold. Diana to attend if she is free.

Nobody responsible yet for liaising with Spitting Feathers.

Shelley

                       

2 UPDATES

Chester Community Energy

Nothing new to report on the Northgate Arena solar project.

A meeting of members has been organised on 20th January at 19.30 at the Quaker Meeting House with an agenda sent out to all members.

Community Energy Think Tank report

Stephen gave a brief report of event at Trafford Hall on the 17/18 February. His written report is posted on the home page of the website: www.transitionchester.org.uk

 

 

   3 FORTHCOMING EVENTS   

 

The Transition AGM will be held at 7.30 pm on the 7th March at the Old Custom House when officers are elected.

Transition members have been invited to attend a Volunteering Conference at Trafford Hall on the 11 March. Brief details have been circulated.

 

 

 

4 INCREDIBLE EDIBLE

Arnold informed the meeting that the currant bushes at Alexandra Park and the Narrows need pruning. It was decided to send out a mailshot to members to have a one hour pruning session on Thursday 16 February between 16.30 and 17.30. Volunteers to bring a pair of secateurs or small loppers and appropriate clothing, shoes and gloves. Graham to do the mail shot and ask Fran for a contact for the sites. Arnold to renew PL insurance.

 

5 OTHER BUSINESS

Arnold reminded the meeting that we need to contact Cathey of CCC and submit an advert to appear in the newsletter, Cycling Matters. It will be for a 1/6 of a page and cost £100 for 4 newsletters. Graham

NEXT MEETING AGM – TUESDAY 7th MARCH 2017

The AGM is to be held at the Old Custom House, Watergate Street, CH1 2LB at 7.30 pm

Graham Booth

11 February 2017

Notes of Transition Chester Monthly Meeting

Tuesday 7th January 2017 at the Old Custom House

9 attending:  Ruth Davidson (Fair Trade), Rachel Cross (Fair Trade), Justine (Coop), John Tacon, Peter Bulmer, Arnold Wilkes, Stephen Savory, Peter Benson, Shelley Booth and Graham Booth

Apologies from Julie, Nik, Joseph and Colin Watson

1 CEILIDH PLANNING       

Item Action
There was a brief review of the event for the benefit of Ruth, Rachel and Justine.

The event is to be held at the All Saints Church, 2 Vicarage Road, Hoole, CH2 3HZ. The hall and kitchen have been booked from 17.00 hrs to 23.30 hrs at a cost of £125. The deposit has been paid.The ceilidh will be from 19.30 – 11.30

The ceilidh will have a live band – The Time Bandits. They are giving their services FOC. Jamie from the band will employ a “caller” who will be paid  £85 for the night. The band will be supplied with free beer and food.

The Fair Trade Steering Group (FTSG) will organise a raffle and provide a prize of Fair Trade food.

The Coop will provide a prize for the raffle of food/drink to the value of £25. They are unable to provide wine on a supply & return arrangement

Arnold said he would ask Suma if they would provide a prize to the value of £40.

The question of recording attendees names and contact details was briefly discussed. The idea of doing this with a raffle ticket was dismissed.

Peter proposed to have pop up banners at the entrance and a table with information about Transition & Fair Trade.

The question of where and when the bar should be set up was discussed. As nobody present knew the exact layout of the smaller rooms it was decided that Graham, Shelley and Arnold would visit the church

In the past, beer has been supplied by the Spitting Feathers Brewery. Setting up the barrels was discussed in advance to allow the sediment to settle. A decision on this to be made after the visit to the church.

Wine glasses are available at the venue. It was suggested that beer glasses can be borrowed from Sainsbury FOC.

Graham will be responsible for the tickets. They will be A7 with information about Transition on the back.

Still waiting for confirmation from the Chester Irish Dancing Club for a display of dancing from the children. No hard shoes are allowed.

The next planning meeting will be the monthly TC meeting on the 7th March at the Old Custom House.

 

 

Diana to laisse with Christina Beveridge on matters concerning the venue. Check if the hall and kitchen are sufficient for our needs.

Peter Bulmer will liaise with Jamie from the band.

Ruth and Rachel

Peter Bulmer will liaise with the FTSG.

Suma

Graham, Shelley & Arnold. Diana to attend if she is free.

Nobody responsible yet for liaising with Spitting Feathers.

Shelley

 2 UPDATES

Chester Community Energy

Nothing new to report on the Northgate Arena sola project.

A meeting of members has been organised on 20th January at 19.30 at the Quaker Meeting House.

Community Energy Think Tank report

Stephen gave a brief report of event at Trafford Hall on the 17/18 February. His written report is posted on the home page of the website: www.transitionchester.org.uk

 

 

 3 FORTHCOMING EVENTS  

 

The Transition AGM will be held at 7.30 pm on the 7th March at the Old Custom House.

Transition members have been invited to attend a Volunteering Conference at Trafford Hall on the 11 March. Brief details have been circulated.

 

 

4 INCREDIBLE EDIBLE

Arnold informed the meeting that the currant bushes at Alexandra Park and the Narrows need pruning. It was decided to send out a mailshot to members to have a one hour pruning session on Thursday 16 February between 16.30 and 17.30. Volunteers to bring a pair of secateurs or small loppers and appropriate clothing, shoes and gloves. Graham to do the mail shot and ask Fran for a contact for the sites. Arnold to renew PL insurance.

 

5 OTHER BUSINESS

Arnold reminded the meeting that we need to contact Cathey of CCC and submit an advert to appear in the newsletter, Cycling Matters. It will be for a 1/6 of a page and cost £100 for 4 newsletters. Graham

NEXT MEETING AGM – TUESDAY 7th MARCH 2017

The AGM is to be held at the Old Custom House, Watergate Street, CH1 2LB at 7.30 pm

Graham Booth

11 February 2017

Minutes of Transition Chester Monthly Meeting

Tuesday 10th January 2017 at the Old Custom House

9 attending: Nick Murthy, Joseph Dawson, Peter Bulmer, Arnold Wilkes, Stephen Savory, Peter Benson, Diana Wilderspin-Jones, Shelley Booth and Graham Booth

Apologies from Jenifer Barnet and Julie Savory

The order of business was changed from the agenda to prioritise the planning of the spring ceilidh. Unfortunately there was no time to view the Video blog “Fully Charged – Christmas Special” This series of videos are presented by Robert Llewellyn and focuses on the latest on electric car and renewable energy developments. Presented in a light-hearted style, it is informative without being over-technical. The link to the video is https://youtu.be/qyQUO8Rj3Uo. It’s easier to go to www.youtube.com and search on Robert Llewellyn Fully Charged.

1 CEILIDH PLANNED FOR SPRING 2017        

Item Action
There was a consensus in the group that the ceilidh should go ahead with the objectives of having a fun social gathering, promoting and fund raising for TC. Peter Bulmer had already booked the venue for Saturday 13th May 2017.The event is to be held at the All Saints Church, 2 Vicarage Road, Hoole, CH2 3HZ. The hall and kitchen have been booked from 17.00 hrs to 23.30 hrs at a cost of £125. The deposit has been paid. The balance needs to be paid 3 weeks prior to the event.The ceilidh will have a live band – The Time Bandits. They are giving their services FOC. Jamie from the band will employ a “caller” who will be paid – approx. £100 for the night. The band will be supplied with free beer and food.

The Fair Trade Steering Group (FTSG) is interested in running a bar and promoting Fair Trade food/goods.

It was agree that food would be provided and that Diana would be responsible for a hot bean chili meal with bread. The ingredients will be organic and all locally sourced. The Food assembly and Janes in the market were mentioned as probable suppliers.

In the past, beer has been supplied by the Spitting Feathers Brewery

The cost of a ticket will be £10 for adults and £5 for children. 100 will be printed, each with a number. Group members will be given an allocation of tickets to sell on a strict cash basis.

There will be a long interval in the dancing to eat. Various activities were proposed to take place during the interval:

A raffle with a hamper as the main prize and 2 other prizes. It was agreed that the raffle tickets would be in 2 halves so that we retained contact details of the ticket purchaser.

A rolling a pound coin game with a bottle of whisky as a prize

A demonstration of Irish dancing by children from the Chester Irish Dancing school.  Adults accompanying dancers would have to buy a ticket.

Insurance and a liquor licence will be required for the event.

Publicity for the event was briefly discussed. Using Eventbrite was discussed. The main means of publicising the event will be personal contacts, social media, websites, mailing lists and newsletters. It was generally agreed that selling 100 tickets would not need extensive publicity. It would be useful to have a poster ready to put in the Hoole Community Centre for the February Folk Day on Saturday 25th February.

It was not agreed who (if anyone) should have overall responsibility for the event or who would act as master of ceremonies on the night.

The next planning meeting will be the monthly TC meeting on the 7th February at the Old Custom House.

   

 

 

Diana to laisse with Christine on matters concerning the venue. Check if the hall and kitchen are sufficient for our needs.

Arnold to pay the balance WC 17 April.

Peter Bulmer will liaise with Jamie from the band.

Peter Bulmer will liaise with the FTSG. Peter to find out if they require a share in any profits from the event.

Diana to prepare the bean chilli on Friday before the event.

Shelley, Joseph and Julie via Stephen said they would help with serving food.

Graham to produce the tickets

Nobody responsible yet

Nobody responsible yet

Shelley to find out more details.

Arnold to renew TC’s public liability insurance before the event.

Peter will check on the band’s insurance.

Diana to speak to Christine about insurance and the liquor licence.

Diana to find the cost of using Eventbrite

Stephen to produce a poster.

                       

2 UPDATES

Chester Community EnergyStephen reported that the legal documents for the roof lease and power purchase agreement have still not been signed by CWAC & Brio Leisure but no major obstacles foreseen.Scottish Power have not yet officially confirmed the pre-registered FIT tariff rate although they have verbally confirmed

The panels have been working satisfactorily for 3 months now. CCEL members can link to a website that gives a real time display of generation, with weekly, monthly totals etc.

Fracking in and around Chester

Gas companies Igas and Ineos have PEDL (petroleum Exploration & Development Licences) for most of West Cheshire also extending into South Wirral and Deeside. The local anti-fracking group is expecting planning applications for exploratory drilling around Chester anytime.

A local campaigner has been granted a judicial review for the extension granted to Igas of PEDL 189 (the one that covers Upton and Mickle Trafford) on the grounds that Igas did not comply with PEDL conditions and therefore should not have been granted an extension.

Sibelco, the world’s largest silica sand producer has applied for planning permission for a 190 acre silica sand extraction quarry near Goostrey which straddles East and West Cheshire. Silica sand is used in great quantities in the fracking process and is extremely dangerous to human health. Originally CWAC delegated planning powers to East Cheshire but this has been found to contravene CWAC’s own rules. The planning application will now have to be approved by both councils. Public comments can still be sent to CWAC until 21 February 2017.

 

 

3 FORTHCOMING EVENTS  

 The forthcoming “Community Energy Think Tank” event at Trafford Hall is now available to community energy groups at a reduced price of £50 for the 2 day non-residential and £70 for the 2 day residential. The event will be held on the 17th & 18th of January.TC have been invited to a “Volunteering Celebration night” which will take place from 18.00 – 20.30 at the Lion Salt Works, Marston, Northwich on Friday 20th January. I have 2 tickets if anyone would like to attend on behalf of TC. A car is essential to get to the venue.  Stephen has volunteered to attend this event.

 

 

4 ADVERTISING IN THE CHESTER CYCLING CAMPAIGN NEWSLETTER        

Arnold suggested that we use the profit from Diana & Simon’s talk to place an advert in CCC newsletter to raise awareness of TC to a potentially receptive audience. The cost would be £100 for 4 different quarter page adds over a year. The additional amount of £30 required would come from funds.The funds of the group are: current account £377, savings are in excess of £1,000 and the “Suma” account £293.The proposal was unanimously agreed. Arnold to find out for the next meeting when the deadline is for the next newsletter and the format required.

 

5 CHANGING THE DAY OF THE MEETING

Shelley proposed changing the meeting day from the second Tuesday in the month as there is a clash with the Green Party and the World Development Forum meetings. The idea being to allow TC members to attend these meetings and for more people to attend TC meetings. After a short discussion it was agreed to meet on the 1st Tuesday to see if it is convenient for regular members and/or increases attendance at meetings. Graham to book the upstairs room at the Custom House for Tuesday 7th February.

 

5 OTHER BUSINESS

Peter Benson informed the meeting of a tree planting day on Saturday 21st January at the Countess of Chester Country Park. Volunteers required. Details will be sent out on a newsletter. Graham to send out a newsletter asking members to support this event and include on website diary

NEXT MEETING – TUESDAY 7th FEBRUARY 2017

The next meeting is to be held at the Old Custom House, Watergate Street, CH1 2LB at 7.30 pm

Graham Booth

13 January 2017

Minutes of Transition Chester Monthly Meeting

Tuesday 10th January 2017 at the Old Custom House

9 attending: Nick Murthy, Joseph Dawson, Peter Bulmer, Arnold Wilkes, Stephen Savory, Peter Benson, Diana Wilderspin-Jones, Shelley Booth and Graham Booth

Apologies from Jenifer Barnet and Julie Savory

The order of business was changed from the agenda to prioritise the planning of the spring ceilidh. Unfortunately there was no time to view the Video blog “Fully Charged – Christmas Special” This series of videos are presented by Robert Llewellyn and focuses on the latest on electric car and renewable energy developments. Presented in a light-hearted style, it is informative without being over-technical. The link to the video is https://youtu.be/qyQUO8Rj3Uo. It’s easier to go to www.youtube.com and search on Robert Llewellyn Fully Charged.

1 CEILIDH PLANNED FOR SPRING 2017        

Item Action
There was a consensus in the group that the ceilidh should go ahead with the objectives of having a fun social gathering, promoting and fund raising for TC. Peter Bulmer had already booked the venue for Saturday 13th May 2017.The event is to be held at the All Saints Church, 2 Vicarage Road, Hoole, CH2 3HZ. The hall and kitchen have been booked from 17.00 hrs to 23.30 hrs at a cost of £125. The deposit has been paid. The balance needs to be paid 3 weeks prior to the event.The ceilidh will have a live band – The Time Bandits. They are giving their services FOC. Jamie from the band will employ a “caller” who will be paid – approx. £100 for the night. The band will be supplied with free beer and food.

The Fair Trade Steering Group (FTSG) is interested in running a bar and promoting Fair Trade food/goods.

It was agree that food would be provided and that Diana would be responsible for a hot bean chili meal with bread. The ingredients will be organic and all locally sourced. The Food assembly and Janes in the market were mentioned as probable suppliers.

In the past, beer has been supplied by the Spitting Feathers Brewery

The cost of a ticket will be £10 for adults and £5 for children. 100 will be printed, each with a number. Group members will be given an allocation of tickets to sell on a strict cash basis.

There will be a long interval in the dancing to eat. Various activities were proposed to take place during the interval:

A raffle with a hamper as the main prize and 2 other prizes. It was agreed that the raffle tickets would be in 2 halves so that we retained contact details of the ticket purchaser.

A rolling a pound coin game with a bottle of whisky as a prize

A demonstration of Irish dancing by children from the Chester Irish Dancing school.  Adults accompanying dancers would have to buy a ticket.

Insurance and a liquor licence will be required for the event.

Publicity for the event was briefly discussed. Using Eventbrite was discussed. The main means of publicising the event will be personal contacts, social media, websites, mailing lists and newsletters. It was generally agreed that selling 100 tickets would not need extensive publicity. It would be useful to have a poster ready to put in the Hoole Community Centre for the February Folk Day on Saturday 25th February.

It was not agreed who (if anyone) should have overall responsibility for the event or who would act as master of ceremonies on the night.

The next planning meeting will be the monthly TC meeting on the 7th February at the Old Custom House.

   

 

 

Diana to laisse with Christine on matters concerning the venue. Check if the hall and kitchen are sufficient for our needs.

Arnold to pay the balance WC 17 April.

Peter Bulmer will liaise with Jamie from the band.

Peter Bulmer will liaise with the FTSG. Peter to find out if they require a share in any profits from the event.

Diana to prepare the bean chilli on Friday before the event.

Shelley, Joseph and Julie via Stephen said they would help with serving food.

Graham to produce the tickets

Nobody responsible yet

Nobody responsible yet

Shelley to find out more details.

Arnold to renew TC’s public liability insurance before the event.

Peter will check on the band’s insurance.

Diana to speak to Christine about insurance and the liquor licence.

Diana to find the cost of using Eventbrite

Stephen to produce a poster.

                       

2 UPDATES

Chester Community EnergyStephen reported that the legal documents for the roof lease and power purchase agreement have still not been signed by CWAC & Brio Leisure but no major obstacles foreseen.Scottish Power have not yet officially confirmed the pre-registered FIT tariff rate although they have verbally confirmed

The panels have been working satisfactorily for 3 months now. CCEL members can link to a website that gives a real time display of generation, with weekly, monthly totals etc.

Fracking in and around Chester

Gas companies Igas and Ineos have PEDL (petroleum Exploration & Development Licences) for most of West Cheshire also extending into South Wirral and Deeside. The local anti-fracking group is expecting planning applications for exploratory drilling around Chester anytime.

A local campaigner has been granted a judicial review for the extension granted to Igas of PEDL 189 (the one that covers Upton and Mickle Trafford) on the grounds that Igas did not comply with PEDL conditions and therefore should not have been granted an extension.

Sibelco, the world’s largest silica sand producer has applied for planning permission for a 190 acre silica sand extraction quarry near Goostrey which straddles East and West Cheshire. Silica sand is used in great quantities in the fracking process and is extremely dangerous to human health. Originally CWAC delegated planning powers to East Cheshire but this has been found to contravene CWAC’s own rules. The planning application will now have to be approved by both councils. Public comments can still be sent to CWAC until 21 February 2017.

 

 

3 FORTHCOMING EVENTS  

 The forthcoming “Community Energy Think Tank” event at Trafford Hall is now available to community energy groups at a reduced price of £50 for the 2 day non-residential and £70 for the 2 day residential. The event will be held on the 17th & 18th of January.TC have been invited to a “Volunteering Celebration night” which will take place from 18.00 – 20.30 at the Lion Salt Works, Marston, Northwich on Friday 20th January. I have 2 tickets if anyone would like to attend on behalf of TC. A car is essential to get to the venue.  Stephen has volunteered to attend this event.

 

 

4 ADVERTISING IN THE CHESTER CYCLING CAMPAIGN NEWSLETTER        

Arnold suggested that we use the profit from Diana & Simon’s talk to place an advert in CCC newsletter to raise awareness of TC to a potentially receptive audience. The cost would be £100 for 4 different quarter page adds over a year. The additional amount of £30 required would come from funds.The funds of the group are: current account £377, savings are in excess of £1,000 and the “Suma” account £293.The proposal was unanimously agreed. Arnold to find out for the next meeting when the deadline is for the next newsletter and the format required.

 

5 CHANGING THE DAY OF THE MEETING

Shelley proposed changing the meeting day from the second Tuesday in the month as there is a clash with the Green Party and the World Development Forum meetings. The idea being to allow TC members to attend these meetings and for more people to attend TC meetings. After a short discussion it was agreed to meet on the 1st Tuesday to see if it is convenient for regular members and/or increases attendance at meetings. Graham to book the upstairs room at the Custom House for Tuesday 7th February.

 

5 OTHER BUSINESS

Peter Benson informed the meeting of a tree planting day on Saturday 21st January at the Countess of Chester Country Park. Volunteers required. Details will be sent out on a newsletter. Graham to send out a newsletter asking members to support this event and include on website diary

NEXT MEETING – TUESDAY 7th FEBRUARY 2017

The next meeting is to be held at the Old Custom House, Watergate Street, CH1 2LB at 7.30 pm

Graham Booth

13 January 2017